Metis Child and Family Services Agency opens
Monday, June 7 2004
WINNIPEG - Calling it a historic day, the president of the Manitoba Metis Federation cut the ribbon launching the first child and family services agency in Manitoba specifically for Metis people.
David Chartrand says it's a dream come true.
The Metis Child and Family Services Agency will initially focus on supporting families through things like in-home support and parenting programs.
The restructuring of Manitoba's child and family services system results from recommendations in the Aboriginal Justice Inquiry.
Individual case and resource transfers are being co-ordinated across the province, on a region by region basis.
More than 200 people were on hand for Thursday's outdoor opening ceremony on Main Street.
- Southeast MMF Newsletter - March 2013
- Canada's Metis Partner Given Cold Shoulder in Federal Budget of Inaction
- Manitoba Métis Urge Clean Environment Commission to Withhold Recommendation on Bipole III Transmission Project
- Louis Riel Day
- MEDO nominated for Spirit Award
- Manitoba Métis Put Manitoba Hydro On Notice About Bipole III - MMF President Testifies at Clean Environment Commission
- MMF President David Chartrand to Receive Honorary Law Degree
- Current State of Metis Law in Canada
- Metis Are Open for Business
- UWinnipeg first to offer Youth In Care Tuition Waivers
- Métis Nation a long way from reconciliation; Efforts continue for recognition and compensation for Métis residential and day school survivors