Metis Gathering on the French at Presqu'ile Cottages
Wednesday, October 13 2004
The Metis Gathering at the French, while the Metis Hunt parties are harvesting for social and ceremonial purposes, will take place at Presqu’ile Cottages, located on the French River just east of Highway 69 some 60 km south of Sudbury. The site is off Hwy 64, 5 km east of the junction of Hwy 69.
The gathering will begin with a Sunrise Ceremony at 7:30 a.m. The sacred fire will be kept all day while Metis hunters and fishers will be off in various areas throughout the traditional Metis Harvesting Territories of Mattawa-Nipissing and Georgian Bay. Hunting parties near the site will return there to dress their harvest and have ceremonies to give thanks for the harvest.
A feast for all in attendance will be held at noon. The screening of a video on the retrieval of the Many Eagle Set Sundance (Thirsty) Dance Song will take place at 2:00 p.m. Story telling, Metis music and other cultural events will carry on throughout the day. First Nations leadership will be in attendance to participate in the events. The public is also invited to attend.
For further information contact:
Katelin Peltier (cell) 613-859-7130
Patricia Lejour 1-800-263-4889 or 1-613-791-5056
- Southeast MMF Newsletter - March 2013
- Canada's Metis Partner Given Cold Shoulder in Federal Budget of Inaction
- Manitoba Métis Urge Clean Environment Commission to Withhold Recommendation on Bipole III Transmission Project
- Louis Riel Day
- MEDO nominated for Spirit Award
- Manitoba Métis Put Manitoba Hydro On Notice About Bipole III - MMF President Testifies at Clean Environment Commission
- MMF President David Chartrand to Receive Honorary Law Degree
- Current State of Metis Law in Canada
- Metis Are Open for Business
- UWinnipeg first to offer Youth In Care Tuition Waivers
- Métis Nation a long way from reconciliation; Efforts continue for recognition and compensation for Métis residential and day school survivors